NTLDR, short for New Technology Loader, is the file that executed by the boot sector and displays a boot menu for users to select their target system. NTLDR could boot up any operating system as long as the systems are properly configured in the boot.ini file. NTLDR works in Windows NT operating systems up to Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. From Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, NTLDR has been replaced the Windows Boot Manager (BOOTMGR). Following files are important for NTLDR to boot up a computer.
NTLDR file: includes the boot loader ifself, indispensable.
boot.ini file: includes configuration information for a boot menu, error occur if absent.
NTDETECT file: It's indispensable to load a NT-base operating system, who is responsible for hardware information gathering and transferring to NTLDR.
When a PC is powered on, the BIOS will find a device to boot up to depending on the boot sequence priority, such as CD/DVD, hard disk and removable devices (USB or external hard drive). From boot sector, NTLDR will be loaded and the configuration information in boot.ini will be read to generate a boot menu. Then if an NT-based operating system is chosen, NTLDR runs ntdetect.com to gathers information about the computer's hardware, and starts Ntoskrnl.exe - the Windows kernel; if an non-NT operating system is selected, NTLDR loads the operating systems pointed in the boot.ini file.
Following NTLDR error messages occur very frequently and frustrate so many people. You could find solutions below to fix NTLDR errors. The causes of NTLDR errors usually includes booting from a non-bootable device, hard drive damaged or not detected, file removal, damaged or corrupted.
"NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart"
"NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart"
"Boot: Couldn't find NTLDR
Please insert another disk"
"NTLDR is compressed.
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart."
Start troubleshooting now. First go to BIOS setup to make sure your hard drive is properly recognized and the first boot device is hard drive (if this is what you want). If the NTLDR error shows up again, select a solution below based your situation.
1. Change the first boot device to CD/DVD Rom, insert Windows CD/DVD and reboot.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen shows, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password (blank by default).
4. Assuming the CD/DVD drive is D: and the system drive is C:, type the commands as followed.
copy d:i386 tldr c:
copy d:i386 tdetect.com c:
5. Now eject the CD/DVD and type exit before pressing ENTER, and reboot the computer.
This solution is for those who doesn't have Windows CD/DVD or for netbook users who usually have no CD-Rom drive, but with at least one USB port.
1. Create bootable CD, DVD or USB with Liveboot in clicks on a normal Windows system.
2. Insert the CD, DVD or USB, and reboot your computer.
3. Choose "Boot from LiveBoot" on the Boot Menu to enter the virtual system.
4. Select "Windows Recovery" and click Boot File Recovery to fix NTLDR missing error and compressed error.
5. When Boot File Recovery complete, restart your computer.
6. If NTLDR missing or compressed is the only issue, the NTLDR error should be fixed. For further trouble shooting, try MBR recovery.
Note: LiveBoot also comes with an intuitive and easy to use disk/partition manager. You can go to Disk Management/Partition Genius to check whether the system volume is Active or not. The wrong Active partition would also cause NTLDR error.
NTLDR error often comes along with data loss on your hard drive. And wrong opeartions taken by users to fix the NTLDR error issue are also a common reason for accidental data deletion or even formatted hard drive. When such problems occur, you`ll probably need a powerful data recovery tool to restore all the lost files.
Wondershare Data Recovery is capable of restoring deleted/lost files or formatted partition from hard drive (HDD and SSD), external hard drive, usb flash drive, memory card, digital camera, camcorder, iPod, Music Player and many kinds of mobile devices (Nokia, Blackberry phones and Phones with older Android OS than ICS). While offering the advanced recovery modes like Raw Recovery or Deep Scan Mode, it`s pretty easy to use:
This page offer the best solution to speed up computer. ...
Learn the ways to enable and disable firewall. The built in terminology has been explained in full. ...
The following article discusses the issue of system restore not working. We list out the steps, issues, and other definitions related to System Restore. ...