Even if you use your Samsung smartphone or tablet with utmost care, you may still lose your contacts stored in it. There can be several reasons for this including:
- Corrupt Android operating system.
- Accidental data loss.
- Virus infected smartphone or tablet.
- Data removal out of ignorance or confusion.
Here you will learn the 2 most preferred and commonly used methods to recover your lost contacts back on your Samsung device.
Method 01: For Backup Users: Restoring Samsung Contacts from Google Account
To use this method, you must meet one major precondition which is:
- You must have already backed up your contacts with your Google account. In case there is no backup, you are out of luck and this method won’t work.
Once you are sure that your Google account has all your contacts in it, you can follow the instructions given below to get your contacts back on your Samsung device:
- Power on your Samsung device.
- Open the Apps drawer.
- From the Apps window, tap Settings.
- On the Settings window, from under the Personalization section, tap Accounts.
- Tap Google on the opened Accounts window.
- On the Google window, tap your currently associated email address from under the Accounts section.
- On the next window, tap to uncheck the checkboxes to turn off synchronization.
- From the top-right corner of the window, tap the More button represented by the three vertically aligned dots.
- Tap Remove account from the displayed menu.
- On the Remove account confirmation box, tap REMOVE ACCOUNT to confirm your action.
- Back on the Accounts window, tap Add account.
- On the Add account window, from the displayed options, tap Google.
- On the Add your account window, tap inside the Enter your email field.
- Type your email address and tap NEXT.
- In the Password field on the next window, type your password and tap NEXT.
- Tap ACCEPT from the bottom of the next window.
- Wait until your information is being checked.
- On the Google services window, check or uncheck the available checkbox as needed and tap NEXT.
- On the Set up payment info window, choose your preferred payment option and tap CONTINUE.
- Back on the Accounts window, tap Google.
- On the Google window, tap your email address. (Notice that its current status is Syncing).
- On the next window, wait until your contacts are synced and restored back to your Samsung device.
- Close the window when done, and if needed, restart your Samsung smartphone/tablet.
Method 02: For Users with No Backup Recover Contacts from Samsung by Scanning
Other features offered by Dr.Fone for Android include:
- Recovery of lost call logs.
- Recovery of lost WhatsApp messages and attachments.
- Allows deep scanning in case normal scanning fails to detect and recover the lost data.
- Allows recovery of videos, music files, and images.
You can download Wondershare Dr.Fone for Android from:
How to Recover Contacts on Samsung Smartphone/Tablet
- Download and install Wondershare Dr.Fone for Android on your computer. (Link given above)
- Connect your Samsung device to your PC using its original data cable.
- If any other Samsung mobile manager launches automatically, close it and initialize Wondershare Dr.Fone for Android in its place.
- Wait until Wondershare Dr.Fone detects your Samsung device.
- Once done, on the next window, uncheck the Select all checkbox.
- Check the Contacts checkbox and click Next.
- Wait until Dr.Fone for Android analyzes and scans your Samsung device.
Note: Make sure that your Samsung device is rooted. If it isn’t, Wondershare Dr.Fone for Android would attempt to root your device, and unroot it back once the recovery process is completed.
- On your Samsung phone/tablet, when prompted, grant the SuperUser permissions for Dr.Fone for Android.
- Back on your computer, click Retry to continue.
- Wait until Wondershare Dr.Fone scans for your lost contacts.
- Once the scanning is complete, from the left pane, click to select the Contacts category.
- From the right pane, check the checkboxes representing the contacts that you want to recover.
Note: Only one contact was saved and deleted from the device for demonstration.
- Click Recover from the bottom-right corner of the window.
- On the box that appears next, click Recover to recover the selected contacts to the default location on your PC.
Note: Optionally, you can also click the Browse button to select a different folder to recover your contacts to.
- Once recovered, on the displayed box, click Download Free to download Wondershare MobileGo in order to restore back the recovered contacts to your Samsung device with ease.
Note: Alternatively, you can use any other method to open the target folder, and restore the contacts back to your Samsung phone/tablet from there.
Where Do Contacts Exist on Your Samsung Device
All contacts on your Samsung or any other Android device are stored in a database file named ‘contacts’. This ‘contacts’ database uses ‘.db’ extension and therefore the full name of the file is ‘contacts.db’. The ‘contacts.db’ file is present in the ‘data/data/com.android.providers.contacts\databases’ container.
Why Can Deleted Contacts Be Recovered
When you have already backed up your contacts on your Google account, a copy of contacts is stored there. If you lose your data, the copy of your contacts is restored back to your Samsung device as soon as your remove and then re-add your Google account to it.
On the other hand, if there is no backup on your Google account and the contacts are only stored in ‘contacts.db’, since the database file is an object and is not physically removed from the device’s storage when the contacts are deleted, when you use Wondershare Dr.Fone for Android, the program scans for the database file and re-adds its entry to the Android operating system. This enables you to view your contacts again.
Restoring your contacts from Google account can be a lengthy, hectic, and tedious process. On the other hand, using an efficient tool like Wondershare Dr.Fone for Android ensures that even if you don’t have any backup for your contacts, they can still be recovered and restored back to your Samsung or any other Android device easily and quickly.